Senior Policy Analyst/Policy Analyst- Center on Education and Labor
New America is seeking a senior policy analyst or policy analyst interested in pursuing a career in education and workforce development policy. The analyst will work with a team on several projects related to community colleges under New America's Center on Education and Labor (CELNA) with a particular focus on childcare for student parents and meeting students’ basic needs.
The senior policy analyst must be a strong researcher and writer who is able to synthesize complex bodies of knowledge for policymakers and the public. An ideal candidate will be a flexible and detail-oriented team player who is willing to pitch in where needed. This person will be able to help shape how policymakers and the media understand the complex relationship between community colleges, career and technical education, and workforce development policy and practice through the lens of racial equity. This position is based in the DC area and the analyst will be expected to be in the office two to three days a week.
New America is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy institute that invests in new thinkers and ideas to address the next generation of challenges facing the United States. The Education Policy Program uses original research and policy analysis to solve the nation’s critical education problems, serving as a trusted source of objective analysis and innovative ideas for policymakers, educators, and the public at large. The New America community college team works to advance racial and gender equity through community-engaged research, storytelling, convening, policy analysis, and advocacy. We believe an equitable community college ecosystem can advance educational access & completion, economic security, and personal fulfillment.
- Research and report on a wide array of policy issues related to the intersection between higher education and skills development, with special emphasis on community colleges and supporting student basic needs.
- Identify and develop strategic opportunities for projects focused on community colleges, career and technical education, and workforce development policy and practice with a focus on racial equity.
- Write case studies and reports, both as a lead author and as a supporting co-author.
- Develop and write blog posts relevant to workforce development and community colleges, including analyzing current events, news, and policy debates.
- Plan convenings and events in person and virtually to showcase the team’s work.
- Plan and conduct research site visits.
- Conduct interviews with people in the field to inform research.
- Assist with administering grants and budgets.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Advanced knowledge and/or experience with education or workforce development policy and practice.
- Ability to think strategically and identify relevant opportunities.
- Ability to translate analyses into written products for both narrow and broad audiences.
- Demonstrated interest in policy issues related to career and technical education, workforce development, and community colleges.
- An ability to design and execute a research plan and analyze the results of that research.
- Strong presentation skills. The ability communicate complex ideas to diverse audiences, particularly in a virtual environment.
- Strong analytical and writing skills.
- An ability to work independently in a hybrid work setting.
- An ability to effectively manage time and communicate activities to a team or supervisor.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in as a member of a collaborative team.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent work ethic matched by openness to feedback and collaboration.
- Inclined to think independently and challenge conventional wisdom in education and labor policy.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience related to career and technical education, workforce development, economic development, or higher education policy required for the policy analyst position. Candidates with at least 5 years of policy-relevant experience will be considered for the senior policy analyst role.
Submit a resume and cover letter directed to Iris Palmer. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, but priority will be given to applications received by March 1, 2023.
Starting salary range is $63,000 - $75,000 for the policy analyst role and $80,000 - $90,000 for the senior policy analyst position. Excellent benefits.
Operating status and Vaccine Policy: New America has made the safety of our staff and our surrounding community a top priority. As part of that commitment, New America staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. New America will require all staff to submit proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19 to be in the DC office. We consider requests for medical or religious accommodations.
- Must be willing to work in an office environment and sits at a desk for extended periods of time and requires dexterity to operate general office equipment;
- The person in this position will frequently communicate with peers, management, company partners/vendors, and the general public, and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information verbally and in writing; and
- This position may require frequent walking, bending, kneeling, and standing, and will require sitting for extended periods of time.
- The work environment is in an indoor office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinet
New America is an equal-opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. This is a bargaining unit position. This is a bargaining unit position.