Policy Analyst, Open Technology Institute and Wireless Future Project
New America’s Open Technology Institute (OTI) and Wireless Future Project (WiFu) seek a dynamic policy analyst to focus on regulatory advocacy related to broadband access, network neutrality, and wireless spectrum policy. The analyst will participate directly in the development of advocacy related to issues including network neutrality, broadband access, spectrum policy, and mobile market competition. We’re looking for people who are passionate about this work and eager to learn about complex issues in a rapidly changing regulatory environment.
OTI and WiFu work at the intersection of technology and policy to ensure that every community has equitable access to digital technology and its benefits. OTI’s issue areas include surveillance, consumer privacy and security, freedom of expression online, platform accountability, transparency, net neutrality, broadband access, and more. OTI and WiFu are diverse teams of policy analysts, legal experts, technologists, and associates. Both are housed within New America, a nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank that invests in new thinkers and new ideas to address the next generation of challenges facing the United States.
You will interact extensively with regulatory agency staff, primarily at the Federal Communications Commission, and represent OTI and WiFu in our collaborations with a number of public interest and industry coalitions.
- Supporting policy advocacy and projects related to net neutrality, wireless broadband, spectrum policy, and mobile market competition, including the implementation of communication strategies;
- Conducting in-depth policy and legislative research and analysis and developing policy recommendations;
- Researching and drafting regulatory agency comments, briefs, and memoranda, as well as contributing to policy papers, blog posts, press releases, and Congressional and/or agency testimony;
- Representing OTI and WiFu’s views before policymakers, press, and the public;
- Developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with other advocates, academics, technologists, companies, and communities;
- Working with OTI and WiFu technologists to develop innovative strategies at the intersection of policy, technology development, and community engagement; and
- Representing OTI and WiFu in the media and as a speaker at policy events, roundtables, and conferences.
This position is designed for an analyst with demonstrated experience in telecom and/or Internet policy and advocacy. While we prefer a minimum of 3 years of experience in the field of tech/telecom policy, we will consider people with fewer years if sufficient interest and potential are demonstrated.
Technological disruption, online discrimination, and the digital divide disproportionately affect the most historically marginalized communities in society, including people of color, women, LGBTQIA+ people, and people with a disability. OTI and WiFu are committed to centering the needs of these communities in our work, and we strongly encourage applications from people with a diverse array of backgrounds to support our mission and apply to join OTI or WiFu.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in public policy, preferably in this field;
- Familiarity with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC);
- Knowledge of and/or experience with policy and basic laws relating to at least one of the following issue areas: net neutrality, wireless broadband, spectrum policy, or mobile market competition at the federal and/or state level is strongly preferred;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Experience working, or an enthusiastic willingness to learn how to work, with stakeholders, public interest groups, and policymakers to advocate for these issues;
- A basic technical understanding of modern communications networks and technologies;
- A self-starter with the ability to multitask and maintain momentum in a fast-moving environment; and
- Demonstrated interest or dedication to fostering equitable outcomes across society and especially for lower-income communities, communities of color, and other historically marginalized constituencies. This can be in either your personal or professional life.
Not Required, But a Plus if You Have:
- Familiarity with relevant congressional committees, including experience working in or with congressional offices;
- Familiarity with relevant federal, local, and international policy institutions, including experience working in or with Congress or federal agencies;
- Experience working with technologists and an ability to translate technical concepts into language accessible to policymakers and others who lack technical expertise;
- Demonstrated experience with public speaking and communicating with the media;
- Demonstrated experience analyzing statutes and proposed legislation; and
- Existing relationships with key stakeholders, including policymakers, the press, advocates, and tech companies, and experience collaborating with diverse stakeholders and organizations
We strongly prefer the candidate to be based in the Washington, DC area.
How to apply:
Submit resume, cover letter, and a writing sample as an attachment. The writing sample should be an article or writing accessible for a general public audience of under 1,500 words. Please be sure to include in your cover letter where you first heard about this posting.
The salary range for this position is $63,024 - $94,536 for Policy Analyst candidates with a minimum of three years of work experience. New America offers a highly competitive benefits package that includes health care, dental, and vision coverage; hybrid work arrangements; a generous retirement plan with an employer contribution of 7% eligible after the first year of service, and dollar-for-dollar match of up to 3% of the employee’s salary eligible immediately; 20 days of paid time off (combined vacation and sick days) in your first year of employment and 30 days of paid time off in subsequent years; 12 weeks of paid parental leave; 10 paid Federal holidays; and an office-wide closure between Christmas and New Year.
New America mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law and any other applicable law.
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our mission, our employees, and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. This is a bargaining unit position.