Do you enjoy making complex ideas accessible to a more general audience? Do you love the challenge of developing engaging messaging and exploring new ways of sharing content online? Do you want to raise the public profile of education issues that are at the forefront of the national policy debate? If you answer yes to any of these questions, this communications associate opportunity with the Education Policy Program at New America (EPP) may be good fit for you. This position allows you to work on the many issues from early and elementary education through workforce development and adult learning.
The EPP communications associate is responsible for assisting in the development of communications activities to raise the public profile of the Education Policy Program, its work, and its staff using a variety of media tactics and channels. The communications associate's work is based in three primary buckets: social media and website management, marketing and analytics reporting, and research and design. The communications associate reports to the communications manager.
Communications Planning, Research, and Design:
- Write and produce organizational collateral and communications plans for report and product launches, research key media and influencer contacts, create social media posts
- Draft communications sections of grant reports -- focusing on blogging, editorial placements, and analytics -- with help from the communications intern for approval by the communications manager
- Manage and build out key media and outreach lists; segmenting for each sub-program’s needs; developing press relationships to expand EPP’s media presence. This includes managing Salesforce and Cision lists.
- Perform light graphic design work for one pagers, email marketing banners, and social media marketing collateral
Social Media and Website Management:
- Assist in the management of EPP’s social media tools and researches new platforms for possible engagement. This includes monitoring/responding to communications via social media, posting events or significant developments, and better integrating social media into the communications plan and roll outs
- Day-to-day managing, updating and administering EPP main program page and sub-program pages; editing, proofreading, posting content; instituting standards around tagging and organization of website
- Develop ideas for social media campaigns focusing on national events like media literacy week and national apprenticeship week to better elevate EPP’s work and thought leadership on priority policy positions
- Properly train new hires and organize semi-regular refreshers to make sure staff are up to speed on proper ways to post and organize content to WagTail (CMS) and social media platforms
- · Organize events that significantly increase digital engagement like Twitter chats and newsletter guest features
Marketing and Analytics Reporting:
- Analyze analytics from social media and email marketing software, develop strategic recommendations for improvement, train sub-program staff who create newsletters on best-practices and new features
- Create analytics reports one month after each product launch to help analysts assess the reach and impact of their product, suggest ways to improve in the future
- Provide communications manager with monthly reports and recommendations based on content performance and website traffic
- Assist communications manager with event management and logistics
- Liaise with central communications staff on product launches and communications activities
- Other duties as assigned
Ideal candidates will have the following characteristics:
- 1+ years communications experience
- Experience in media relations, specifically pitching stories to reporters;
- Ability to be a proactive thinker and work independently and in groups;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, as well as attention to detail; experience with project management is a plus;
- Ability to thrive in a complex, multi-focus, fast-paced, team-oriented work environment;
- Excellent time manager able to prioritize and execute competing projects under tight deadlines;
- Fluency with word processing programs, database management, and experience with internet research; adaptable, solution-oriented, tech-savvy;
- Knowledge of, and/or interest in, public policy issues preferred; and,
- Familiarity with national debates on education policies is a plus. Intellectual curiosity is required.
- Graphic design skills and knowledge of InDesign and PhotoShop is a plus.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter explaining the applicant’s motivation for and interest in the position, a resume, and a list of references. Applications close on January 6, 2019.
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees, and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.