2023 Winter/Spring Internship - Communications & Graphic Design Intern (Paid)
New America seeks applicants with a strong interest in communications, public policy, and web content/design for our paid Winter/Spring 2023 Communications & Graphic Design internship.
This intern will provide support across the Communications and Editorial departments, aiding New America’s external relations and outreach efforts. This is an excellent opportunity for a student or recent graduate interested in the communications field, who is looking to try new things and build new skills.
Candidates should demonstrate strong verbal and writing skills and attention to detail in their applications, as well as an interest in public policy issues relevant to New America.The ideal candidate has some experience or interest in public relations, communications, and/or public policy and design.
This position can be remote or based in Washington, DC. The internship runs for six months, but start and end dates are flexible.
- Monitor press coverage of New America, and assist the Senior Communications Associate in recording media mentions in our Salesforce database and producing a weekly internal report;
- Assist the communications team with drafting communications plans, compiling media lists, and writing pitches to promote research on a variety of policy issues;
- Assist Senior Graphic Designer with building brand-consistent designs for email campaigns, events, and newsletters;
- Support on social media efforts through creation of content and graphics, as needed;
- Perform light administrative duties as needed.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and communications skills;
- Intellectual curiosity, motivation, and a desire to learn on the job;
- Graphic design experience using Adobe Creative Suite or similar software (emphasis on Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign a plus)
- Ability to take initiative and to collaborate and communicate effectively in a hybrid team;
- Interest or relevant experience in media relations, communications, and design;
- Strong attention to detail, together with excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Interest in public policy issues relevant to New America is preferred; and
- Prior experience in Salesforce or other data management tools a plus.
Submit a resume and a cover letter. Candidates without these items will not be considered. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so early submissions (by February 1) are recommended.
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees, and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.