Senior Writer & Editor - Better Life Lab
The Better Life Lab at New America is a small team of researchers and storytellers working in solidarity with the movement for work-family justice. We focus on intersectional gender equity, elevating the value of care, and rewiring social policy and workplace culture to work for today’s families. Core to the Better Life Lab’s mission is human-centered research, policy analysis, and journalism. The Lab’s approach to research is creative and narrative-driven. We emphasize translating research and analysis into public-facing materials to change culture and influence the national conversation on family-supportive social policy, workplace practices, and cultural norms
The senior writer and editor will assist the director in leading the Better Life Lab’s storytelling and narrative change efforts, including planning events, investigating, researching, reporting, authoring and editing original pieces, papers, projects, reports, newsletter and multi-media products written or produced by program staff, fellows and outside contributors.
- The senior writer/editor may be asked to perform additional duties and take on other responsibilities as dictated by team leadership, events, and circumstances.
- Assist in outreach and building relationships with funders and allied organizations.
- Read widely and contribute mission-related media articles and academic studies to the team’s social media Slack channel on a weekly basis.
- Speak to reporters and potentially attend and present at conferences and relevant events to raise the Better Life Lab’s profile and amplify its work.
- Demonstrated interest or dedication to fostering equitable outcomes across society and especially for lower income communities, communities of color, and other historically marginalized constituencies. This can be in either their personal or professional life.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
This position is a full-time role with benefits. Annual salary will be between $80,000 - $100,000, depending on experience. The position is open to candidates regardless of location. Flexible, hybrid work arrangements are available for candidates in the Washington DC area. Remote/digital candidates outside the DC area are also encouraged to apply.
Please submit a resume and cover letter describing your qualifications to apply. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please no phone calls
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.