New America is seeking a well-rounded, creative, and resourceful Deputy Director of Communications (Content) to help us translate our policy research into compelling short-form written work, and communicate our mission of renewing the promise of America. This senior position within the Editorial, Production, Events, and Communications (EPEC) team is essential in designing and executing strategies that shape New America’s brand and reputation.
The ideal candidate will be an exceptional writer, editor, and project manager. They will be responsible for implementing New America’s content strategy. This includes serving as managing editor and producing New America’s institutional editorial outputs (such as The Thread and the annual report), managing NA’s big-picture editorial calendar, overseeing social media content and channels, and advising programs on communications and content strategy. This position will have the exciting opportunity to help position New America as a national leader in light of the institution’s new strategic plan.
The ability to lead and mentor junior staff is essential. Individuals who are curious, detail-oriented, diplomatic, and who love solving complex problems are encouraged to apply.
This position is full-time based in our Washington, DC office on a hybrid remote/in-office basis.
Content and Communications Strategy
- Work closely with the Director of EPEC and other leadership members to develop and execute a strategic communications strategy that supports the organization's mission and new strategic plan
- Develop and strengthen New America’s brand voice and brand narrative
- Build and foster collaborative relationships with other departments within the organization to stay abreast of new initiatives
- Set and guide the strategy of The Thread, New America’s editorial platform and newsletter, integrating it with New America’s overall content strategy
- Lead monthly editorial skill building meetings to help New America staff grow their writing and editing skills
- Serve as a strategic partner for programs on content strategy, helping them align their tactics with their goals
- Work closely with the design/product team in the development of visual products, ensuring that the content is engaging and products are produced with audience and outreach strategy in mind
Editorial and Content Development
- Write clear, compelling summaries of complex policy research for website, social media, event descriptions, and print materials
- Provide writing support to programs on other short-form content, particularly on high priority projects—including drafting executive summaries, reviewing blog posts, op-ed drafts, and newsletters
- Oversee editorial calendar of all New America content for major releases, potential conflicts and overlaps, report launches, and other opportunities
- Identify topics and writers for articles in The Thread from within New America
- Identify topical themes for quarterly themed issues of The Thread
- Provide writing and editorial support to Senior Editorial Content Associate on editing Thread pieces and developing the monthly newsletter
- Together with Digital Outreach Associate, develop institutional social media content calendar and set priorities
- Oversee proofreading of New America’s research reports
- Oversee the production, writing, review, design, and dissemination strategy of New America’s annual reports and marketing collateral
- Oversee production schedules for reports and online features, coordinating on the production of hard-copy collateral when needed
- Oversee project management of New America’s publications and designed materials, ensuring high-quality content is published on schedule
- Promote greater internal communication about upcoming projects among EPEC and senior leadership
- Actively use Asana to develop and manage project timelines
Staff Leadership and Management
- Support leadership in collecting, analyzing, and reporting of relevant comms-related data for performance improvement and strategic review
- Provide guidance to all staff members in EPEC, provide feedback in annual performance reviews for team members, and assist in interviewing and hiring for open positions
- Manage relationships with external communications consultants
- This position oversees two full-time positions, and reports to the Director of Events, Production, Editorial, and Communications (EPEC).
- 5-7 years of experience in communications and content development, preferably on teams that provide support to multiple internal or external clients
- An exceptional strategic thinker, able to see the big picture
- Enjoys writing engaging long-form and short-form content for a variety of social media platforms and audiences
- A strong eye for detail
- Proactive and self-motivated, able to identify and take initiative on projects that will benefit our programs and the organizational brand
- Flexible and collaborative
- Strong manager, leader, and mentor
- Be a strategic thinker, able to connect communications strategies to programmatic objectives and identify synergies across program areas;
- Experience and comfort with balancing a wide range of audiences internally and externally
- Previous experience as a journalist or working with journalists
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- Experience with various social media platforms
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and brief writing sample of 1-3 pages. Applications without these materials will not be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.