2023 Internship - Fellows Program Communications & Events Internship (Paid)
The Fellows Program at New America is seeking an enthusiastic, motivated individual for a full-time in-person or remote communications-focused internship beginning in early June 2023.
New America’s Fellows Program invests in thinkers—journalists, scholars, filmmakers, and public policy analysts—who generate big, bold ideas that have an impact and spark new conversations about the most pressing issues of our day. Current National Fellows work on a wide range of topics, including international security, global migration, and criminal justice.
Visit www.newamerica.org/fellows to learn more about the Fellows Program.
- Support the Fellows Program staff with general communication tasks (both internal and external) related to the Fellows Program that includes:
- Support the content development for the monthly e-newsletter that includes: tracking and assessing previous e-newsletter citations and proposals for new content based on the Fellows’ work.
- Prepare the first draft of the monthly e-newsletter that compiles all Fellows-related program activities and published work for any given month.
- Please visit https://www.newamerica.org/fellows/our-blog/newsletter-fifth-draft/ to see previous versions of the newsletter.
- Prepare and post both scheduled and real-time tweets to the Fellows Program Twitter and LinkedIn accounts.
- Create social media collateral, including social media cards and images related to the newsletter.
- Update the website to capture/track the work published by the Fellows:
- Day-to-day managing, updating, and administering the Fellows Program page on the New America site; editing, proofreading, and posting content.
- Support content migration for a new stand-alone website which will feature Fellows work.
- Update the Fellows project database that tracks completed projects and notable awards; ad-hoc assistance with Fellows Program monitoring and evaluation.
- Support activities related to the Class of 2024 announcement:
- Proofread and edit bios for the cohort.
- Support the twitter announcement campaign.
- Prepare audio interview briefing memos for the Program Director.
- Prepare other materials as needed related to the Class announcement.
- Support the Fellows and staff to plan and then execute both internal and external events (drafting event invitations, creating relevant social collateral, and posting event listings).
- Complete other tasks as directed by the Program Officer.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and copy-editing skills.
- High attention to detail is a must.
- Experience in website editing.
- Extensive experience preparing content for e-newsletters.
- Experience or interest in data management.
- Basic graphic design skills.
- Experience supporting events.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize work and manage their time in order to meet multiple deadlines.
Location: Remote, or in New America’s Washington D.C. offices
Operating status and Vaccine Policy: New America has made the safety of our staff and our surrounding community a top priority. As part of that commitment, New America staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. New America will require all staff to submit proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19 to be in the DC office.
Interested candidates should submit the following materials by COB Friday, April 21, 2023.
- Resume (no longer than two pages)
- One-page cover letter
- Writing and graphic design samples (no longer than six pages for the samples)
No phone calls, please.
New America is an equal-opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees, and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. This is a bargaining unit position.