2023 Spring Internship - Program Coordination Intern (Paid)
New America seeks applicants who have a strong interest in public policy, international affairs, events management, and program coordination for our paid Spring 2023 Program.
This intern will provide support to New America’s Planetary Politics initiative and Future Frontlines program, aiding with events management, program coordination, external relations, and outreach efforts. This is an excellent opportunity for a graduate student or recent graduate of a Masters or PhD program interested in international affairs and/or U.S. foreign policy and national security issues, who is looking to try new things and build new skills.
Candidates should demonstrate strong verbal and writing skills, an appreciation for organization and order, and attention to detail in their applications, as well as an interest in public policy issues relevant to New America. The ideal candidate has some experience or interest in events management, business or organizational administration, communications and/or public policy.
This position can be remote or based in Washington, DC. The internship runs for six months (Early February to Mid-July 2023), but start and end dates are flexible. The internship is part-time with an expected range of 10-15 hours per week.
- Manage program contact lists and assist with contact database management;
- Assist the program manager with compiling media mentions, external relations, outreach and scheduling ;
- Support in the production of New America’s research briefs, blogs and data visualizations through conducting research, and formatting for web layout;
- Liaise with New America’s Events and Communications teams on the planning, administration and management of program events and event-related output;
- Support on social media efforts through creation of content and graphics, as needed;
- Conduct research and analytics projects to help New America assess its impact; and
- Undertake various short writing projects, and light administrative duties as needed.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Strong attention to detail, together with excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and proofreading, fact-checking experience
- Intellectual curiosity, motivation, and a desire to learn on the job;
- Ability to take initiative and to collaborate and communicate effectively in a hybrid team;
- Interest or relevant experience in media relations, public relations, or journalism;
- Experience working with Word, Excel Required; Knowledge of Tableau or Similar Programs Highly Desirable
- Interest in public policy issues relevant to New America is preferred; and
- Prior experience in Salesforce or other data management tools is a plus.
Location: Remote, or in New America’s Washington D.C. offices
Operating status and Vaccine Policy: New America has made the safety of our staff and our surrounding community a top priority. As part of that commitment, New America staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. New America will require all staff to submit proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19 to be in the DC office.
Submit a resume and a writing sample (no more than 3 pages). Candidates without these items will not be considered. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so early submissions (by January 31) are recommended.
Please no phone calls and no emails
New America is an equal-opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization, creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, employees, and communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. This is a bargaining unit position.