Communications and Events Manager
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The Communications & Events Manager is responsible for helping to evangelize the program work internally within New America and externally. This includes a combination of writing and editing, brand building, stakeholder engagement and relationship building, and events management.
About New America: New America is dedicated to renewing the promise of America by continuing the quest to realize our nation's highest ideals, honestly confronting the challenges caused by rapid technological and social change, and seizing the opportunities those changes create.
About Public Interest Technology Program: At its heart, public-interest technology puts people at the center of the policymaking process. At New America PIT, we’re working with partners – including government agencies, NGOs, advocacy groups, universities, policymakers, and other mission-driven organizations – to ensure that the public interest technology ecosystem is more accessible, transparent, diverse, equitable, accountable, ethical, and effective.
- Writing and storytelling for themed newsletter, PIT UNiverse.
- Brainstorming ideas for issues and working to produce and promote the newsletter each month.
- Drafting op-eds as needed with input from team members.
- Telling stories about products and programs produced by the Public Interest Technology University Network.
- Coordinating any press efforts with New America’s Communications and Editorial teams.
- Collaborating on PIT’s editorial strategy, including outreach related to policy papers, writing synopses of events, and other original content.
- Liaising with New America’s communications, events, editorial, and production teams to ensure coordinated communication and information-sharing for improved internal communications;
- Supporting the timeline and production of collateral and other outputs from PIT, specifically related to policy papers, infographics, data visualizations, and other deliverables.
- Managing and building out key media and outreach lists and segmenting for each project’s needs.
Day-to-Day Communications Planning:
- Day-to-day managing, updating and administering NA PIT's websites including pitcases.org; editing, proofreading, posting content; instituting standards around tagging and organization of each website.
- Exhibit the diplomacy and tact to constructively work with staff at all levels of PIT and NA as well as build/maintain relationships across programs to initiate and support cross-programmatic work.
- Minimum of 5 years of communications experience, a portfolio of previous work will be requested.
- Strong writing experience required, including copyediting, interviewing subjects, editing pieces by non-writers, and finding great stories to tell.
- Experience putting together a digital newsletter, or at least a facility with digital tools. This will require sourcing and editing images, and writing headlines, subheads, and tweets.
- The ability to multitask and maintain momentum in a fast-moving environment.
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Highly resourceful team player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently with limited supervision and instruction at times.
- Demonstrated interest or dedication to fostering equitable outcomes across society and especially for lower-income communities, communities of color, and other historically marginalized constituencies.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high-performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Forward-looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions.
- Must have a confident demeanor and excellent rapport when interacting with all levels of staff
- Excellent working relationship with New America Central counterparts.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, external partners, and donors.
Compensation and Benefits:
This position is a full-time role with benefits. Annual salary will be between $68,000 - $86,000, depending on experience. The position is open to candidates regardless of location. Flexible, hybrid work arrangements are available for candidates in the Washington DC area. Remote candidates outside the DC area are also encouraged to apply.
Please submit a resume and cover letter describing your qualifications to apply. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please no phone calls, no emails
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees, and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. This is a bargaining unit position.