Events Associate - Events and Communications
New America, an innovative, nonprofit public policy institute, offers an outstanding opportunity for a resourceful and creative Events Associate. The right candidate will have a passion for convening people to tackle significant public policy issues, and will work closely with our program teams in order to deliver dynamic, compelling, and engaging interactive events.
The Events Associate will be a key member of the Communications and Events team. This person is responsible for the execution of New America’s day-to-day events. The position will provide logistics support and guidance to programs planning small, on-site, invite-only workshops to large, off-site multi-day conferences, and everything in between. The position will ensure that on-site events run smoothly, and that all day-of logistics are well-planned and well-executed. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, detail- and task-oriented, able to meet deadlines and prioritize, and impeccably professional.
This position will be required to be on-site in our Washington, D.C. office five days a week and occasionally require flexibility hours to staff early morning or late night events.
- Working with the Events Manager, and Senior Events Associate, ensure that events plans and processes are followed for in-person events.
- Manage the day-of logistics for all on-site public and private events in Washington DC, including but not limited to ordering and receiving catering, setting up the events space, greeting guests, and providing as-needed support to program staff.
- Coordinate with New America’s Facilities department and the office building to communicate events needs.
- Manage the events calendar to ensure that the Main Events Space is booked appropriately for all events.
- Set up the Main Event Space before events, and clean up after the event.
- Support the curation and execution of particular high-visibility events, including conferences and other multi-day events.
- Work with the Senior Events Associate to promote events, track attendance, and maintain data on all events by using our events management platform (Splash) and website (Wagtail).
- Create invitations using established invite templates via Splash.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Candidates for the Events Associate position should have the following:
- Proven capability in events, communications, public affairs, public policy, marketing or related field.
- 1-3 years of experience in advance, logistics or event planning, preferably at a non-profit.
- Understanding of event planning and management, including logistics and registration; familiarity with event industry language, trends and systems.
- Proven experience successfully handling multiple events at different stages simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Flexible and collaborative
- Outstanding customer service, communication, and problem solving skills
- Ability to be a proactive thinker and work independently as well as in a team.
- Intellectual curiosity, motivation, and a desire to learn on the job.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines and beyond normal business hours when necessary.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
Candidates should submit a resume and a cover letter. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. This is a bargaining unit position.