New America is seeking a senior program manager to join the Center for Education and Labor team, supporting the Partnership to Advance Youth Apprenticeship. New America is a public policy institute that invests in new thinkers and new ideas to address the next generation of challenges facing the United States. We engage in longer-term research and react to the policy issues of the day. The ideal candidate is intellectually curious, entrepreneurial, self-directed, and committed to advancing programmatic and policy solutions to expand economic opportunity for young adults.
The Partnership to Advance Youth Apprenticeship (PAYA) is a multi-year, collaborative initiative led by New America that supports the success of efforts in states and cities to expand access to high-quality apprenticeship opportunities for high school age youth. The Partnership convenes and mobilizes the expertise, experience, and collective networks of national, state, and regional partners to:
- Improve public understanding and awareness of high-quality American youth apprenticeship and how well such programs serve students, employers, and communities.
- Accelerate and intensify learning by disseminating better information about the conditions and strategies necessary for success and sustainability of youth apprenticeship partnerships.
- Support more high-quality, scalable, youth apprenticeship partnerships in more places that better serve participating employers, students, and communities.
The Senior Program Manager will:
- Lead the implementation of a complex, multi-year initiative, including working closely with PAYA’s National Director to develop and execute work plans, meet timelines, and complete reporting obligations in service of the initiative’s mission and objectives
- Coordinate activities across New America staff and external partners/consultants to ensure timely delivery of products and technical assistance activities, including the production of high-quality project deliverables and programming for the PAYA Network
- Build and maintain strong relationships and partnerships with a range of stakeholders such as partners, consultants, and place-based program leaders & partners (including intermediaries, education institutions, workforce agencies, and employers)
- Identify and create opportunities to strengthen PAYA’s public presence via blog posts, social media campaigns, and other formats.
- Contribute to the creation and dissemination of tools, resources, and occasional written products (e.g. blog posts, briefs) to support the design, implementation, and growth of youth apprenticeship programs aligned to PAYA’s Principles for High—Quality Youth Apprenticeship.
- Provide technical assistance to stakeholders in the field, including providing resources, connections, and direct coaching, and occasionally facilitating webinars and seminars.
We are seeking a candidate who:
- Has at least 5 years of professional experience supporting and/or managing projects, programs, or initiatives, with increasing responsibility
- Demonstrates strong project management skills and can balance details and timelines with larger strategic priorities.
- Is familiar with federal education and/or workforce development policy. Knowledge of policies and best practices in work-based learning and/or apprenticeship is a plus.
- Possesses excellent communication skills and can translate complex ideas and processes into products & messages for multiple audiences
- Is equally adept working in teams and independently, and has experience managing projects virtually
- Thinks creatively, adapts quickly, and enjoys finding efficient solutions to complex problems
- Brings experience & subject matter expertise in apprenticeship, work-based learning, career and technical education, and/or post-secondary transition policies & issues
- Has experience planning and executing large events
- Is inclined to think independently
- Shares PAYA’s commitment to equity and is interested in applying skills & talents in a role focused on expanding economic opportunity.
About the role:
- Full-time position on the CELNA team, reporting to National Director, Partnership to Advance Youth Apprenticeship
- Senior Project Manager is expected to work from New America’s Washington, DC office (Note: New America staff will be returning to the office on a part-time, optional basis in Fall 2021.)
- Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b) retirement match, FSA for transportation and childcare, life insurance, and paid time off.
- Occasional travel anticipated (resuming 2022)
Please apply by submitting a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please explain how your experience and qualifications make you a good fit for the specific responsibilities of this position.
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.