Accounts Payable Specialist
About: New America is a think tank and civic enterprise dedicated to renewing the promise of America by continuing the quest to realize our nation’s highest ideals, honestly confronting the challenges caused by rapid technological and social change, and seizing the opportunities those changes create. From our founding in 1998, New America has been building a different kind of think tank: one dedicated to public problem-solving. Our talented team is more than just policy specialists— we’re visionary researchers, changemakers, technologists, and storytellers who understand the challenges and opportunities presented by dramatic social and technological change
Primary Function: The Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for processing accounts payable transactions, processing disbursements, managing vendor communications, preparing vendor and consultant contracts, maintaining Concur, and maintaining accurate financial records.
- Process all employee expense reimbursements in Concur; review for appropriate documentation and account coding; follow up with employees to resolve issues
- Process invoices from vendors, contractors, and state/federal agencies; review each for appropriate documentation and management approval; detect and correct any discrepancies; enter into accounting software
- Monitor Finance mailbox; respond to requests in a timely manner; direct mail incorrectly sent to Finance to the appropriate person/team; follow-up on unresolved matters until completely answered
- Set up bi-weekly ACH and wire disbursements in the banking system
- Process physical checks when requested by a vendor
- Process credit card bills; reconcile all corporate card statements to reports and receipts submitted by cardholders via Concur
- Maintain vendor information, including banking information and W-9s
- Interact with program directors, grant managers, and vendors; serve as primary interface with other departments on AP initiatives and process changes
- Assist in month-end closing procedures; record journal entries to adjust balances or reclass expenses as needed; reconcile related accounts to the general ledger monthly
- Assist with year-end 1099s
- Prepare vendor and consultant contracts; communicate with project managers regarding details of contracts; facilitate execution of contracts via secure documentation software
- Maintain a schedule of contracts to track terms and monitor the status
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices
- Assist with external audits and other projects as assigned
- Add value through process improvement and creating workflow efficiencies, e.g. reduce processing time, improve accuracy, and reduce paper-based processes
- Assist with Finance team admin duties such as sorting mail and scheduling team meetings; logging checks received via mail and distributing copies to Development
- The incumbent may be asked to perform additional duties and take on other responsibilities as dictated by events and circumstances.
- 3+ years of working experience in accounting with a focus on Accounts Payable
- AA Degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field. BA/BS is a plus
- Ability to seamlessly handle multiple deliverables, and the discretion to maintain confidential information
- Strong communication and customer service skills, and ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely.
- Strong time management, planning, and organizational skills
- Advanced Excel skills
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision, but know when to seek additional assistance
- Ability to work harmoniously and effectively as part of a work team, responding to frequent demands of multiple customers (internal and external)
- Knowledge of Concur and Microsoft Dynamics – Serenic Navigator is a plus
Compensation and Benefits: This position is a full-time role with benefits. The annual salary will be between $60,000.00 – $65,000.00, depending on experience. New America offers a highly competitive benefits package that includes health care, dental, and vision coverage; a generous retirement plan; paid time off; observes all federal holidays; and an office-wide closure between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Location: New America’s Washington D.C. office, Hybrid work mode
Application Process: Please submit a resume and cover letter. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
No phone calls or emails will be answered
*Operating status and Vaccine Policy: New America has made the safety of our staff and our surrounding community a top priority. As part of that commitment, New America staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. New America will require all staff to submit proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19 to be in the DC office. We consider requests for medical or religious accommodations.
- This position is hybrid, working from home and in an office environment and sits at a desk for extended periods of time and requires dexterity to operate general office equipment;
- The person in this position will frequently communicate with peers, management, company partners/vendors, and the general public, and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information verbally and in writing; and
- This position may require walking, bending, kneeling, and standing, and will require sitting for extended periods of time.
- The work environment is in an indoor office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets
All candidates are subject to legal background checks in the United States. New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees, and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. This is a bargaining unit position.