Social Media Manager - Communications
New America is seeking an experienced, innovative Social Media Manager to develop its online voice and execute a robust social content strategy to build brand recognition and awareness of New America among our target audiences.
As the steward of our social channel strategy, you will play a critical role in elevating New America’s brand on key topics and conversations, growing our audiences, and, together with the rest of the content team, building a brand for New America as a unified organization. In addition to managing the primary New America brand channels, you will advise senior leadership and programs on social media tactics to achieve their communications goals.
This role is an exciting opportunity to help craft and shape the online voice of New America and help position the organization as a leader in light of its new strategic plan.
As a member of the Editorial, Production, Events, and Communications (EPEC) team, the Social Media Manager will report directly to the Deputy Director of Content.
This position is full-time, based in our Washington, DC, office on a hybrid remote/in-office basis.
Essential Job Functions
Social Media Strategy
- Refine and drive social media strategy for New America, in close consultation with EPEC team leadership;
- Develop and manage a social media calendar in alignment with overall content strategy;
- Establish a clearly defined, consistent social media voice for New America, drawing on its brand narrative and personality;
- Develop benchmarks to measure success and report out on progress, working with the Digital Analytics Associate to identify KPIs in alignment with content strategy, and sharing metrics with programs and senior EPEC leadership;
- Convene a social media “brain trust” of super-users from across the organization to track activity, ensure brand alignment, and leverage opportunities for promotion;
- Build out New America’s approach to paid social media campaigns and put forward a paid social media strategy;
- Provide support and proactive planning on rapid response or crisis communications; and
- Advise and provide training to program teams on social media strategy and best practices.
Content Creation & Execution
- Create and curate content for New America’s primary brand social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook);
- Identify engaging quotes and key messages from our research that would resonate with a broader audience on social media;
- Together with other members of EPEC, identify upcoming publications best suited for social media elevation;
- Identify opportunities to create social graphics, data visualizations, and other shareable content;
- Work closely with policy analysts, scholars, event speakers, and staff to help amplify New America’s work on social and tap into broader online conversations;
- Create social media toolkits to support priority publication/event launches, and follow-through with stakeholders to ensure execution;
- Monitor rapidly shifting trends in the social media landscape, and make recommendations to EPEC leadership and programs based on these observations.
- At least 5 to 7 years of experience in communications, marketing, or digital outreach;
- Demonstrated experience managing an organization’s Twitter account and making decisions/recommendations about engagement opportunities;
- Demonstrated success in creating dynamic, engaging social media content;
- Exceptional writing skills—with an ability to distill complex topics into bite-sized, accessible content;
- Laser-focused attention to detail and strong time management skills;
- Ability to see the big picture and align social media tactics and engagement efforts accordingly and in sync with organizational goals;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- An entrepreneurial spirit—with a drive for proposing and testing new ideas;
- Proficiency with graphic design tools (e.g., Photoshop, Canva, Figma); and
- A passion of New America’s work and vision
Candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and at least 2 samples of past digital communications work (e.g., social campaign with copy/graphics, strategy document, campaign plan) and the results for each. Applications without these materials will not be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. This is a bargaining unit position.