About New America
New America is a think tank and civic enterprise committed to renewing American politics, prosperity, and purpose in the Digital Age. We generate big ideas, bridge the gap between technology and policy, and curate broad public conversation. Structurally, we combine the best of a policy research institute, technology laboratory, public forum, media platform, and a venture capital fund for ideas. We are a distinctive community of thinkers, writers, researchers, technologists, and community activists who believe deeply in the possibility of American renewal. With offices in Washington, DC, Indianapolis, Chicago and Oakland, CA, New America currently has over 150 staff members and fellows.
About Development at New America
The Development Department works with New America leadership and programs to ensure the long-term sustainability of the organization. Our team stewards and collaborates with the organization’s Board, partners, councils, and circles of donors who represent an active and intergenerational group of private sector and philanthropic leaders who guide the organization forward on many initiatives.
Primary Function: The Individual Giving Officer is responsible for developing strategies for identifying new donors, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of existing donors to increase overall retention and giving levels, and relationship management between donors and others on the board and staff who work with them. This position has a direct impact on the department’s reputation among donors, as well as impacts on the financial and operational performance of the department. The Individual Giving Officer reports to the Director of Development and will work closely and collaboratively with the CEO and President/CTO, as well as programs, board members and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop, refine and implement an individual giving and major gifts strategy for New America in line with the organizational strategy, including engaging and building out existing donor pipelines.
- Build out a new pipeline of individual donor prospects with the intent to secure gifts for general operating support of New America.
- Work collaboratively with the Development team and New America leadership to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward major donors and prospects through moves management.
- Build strong relationships with a growing portfolio of donors through frequent correspondence, in-person visits, events and other donor engagement strategies
- Solicit gifts from donors and prospects, both individually and jointly with other New America staff and board members.
- Proven track record of soliciting major gifts of $10K and above
- Coordinate individual-centered fundraising efforts with New America Development team, board and program staff
- Prepare written materials, including marketing materials, correspondence, solicitation materials, acknowledgements, and regular communications as part of the stewardship program.
- Coordinate and execute donor events to support retention and gift increases and prospect events to- secure new individual gifts.
- Travel regularly for donor meetings and events, as needed.
- Support the CEO, President and other staff as they cultivate external relations, including preparing briefing books, writing proposals, and other duties as needed.
- Maintain accurate and complete records on donors in Salesforce database to support ongoing activity and future fundraising—including plans, tracking, and reporting.
- Keep colleagues informed about key milestones in fundraising, Board development, and other organization-wide initiatives.
The Individual Giving Officer may be asked to perform additional duties and take on other responsibilities as dictated by events and circumstances
- Bachelor’s Degree, Masters preferred
- Candidates with a background in sales, marketing and advertising are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Strong work tenure: minimum of five to seven years successful experience in individual gift fundraising or sales, preferably in an multi-issue organization
- An interest in policy issues and an appreciation for the importance of identifying big ideas, bridging technology and policy and amplifying broad conversations to advance an organizational agenda
- Successful experience in developing cultivation and solicitation strategies resulting in four, five and six figure major gifts
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills
- High integrity, intellectual curiosity, inquisitive nature, and excellent listening and demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Performance-oriented with a strong work ethic, demonstrated initiative and commitment to achieving goals
- Ability to work independently and proactively while also being able to work as part of a team
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently with limited supervision and instruction at times
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners and donors
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of service and response
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals, meet sales quotas and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Must have confident demeanor and excellent rapport when interacting with all levels of staff
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- Must be willing to travel ((Note: Staff are not currently travelling due to the COVID-19 pandemic)
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter. You may also submit three references and a work sample as a file or include it as a link to a website. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.